Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The Language School 1


El Proyecto Linguistico Francisco Marroquin is my Spanish language school in Antigua. Most students come here to learn Spanish although a few are studying the language of the various Mayan tribes which exist in the country such as Q'eqchi' and Pocomchi'. In fact the objective of the school is to preserve these languages by producing dictionaries and grammar reference books.

Classes are from 8am until 5pm with a two hour break at lunch time. This allows me enough time to eat with my family and practice my new vocabulary.

My teacher, Rosa, lives in Antigua and grew up here. She speaks very little English and therefore all of our communication is in Spanish. It was very difficult at first, partly because I had to forget the Spanish "th" sound for "z" and change some of my vocabulary, but I have found that it has enabled me to learn very quickly. I still rely heavily on my dictionary not least because she asks questions like "Why does Britain have a queen?".

In the lessons I learn not only the language but about the culture and history of Guatemala. We talk about the pagan rituals which exist among the Mayan people and the reasons for the civil war which ended only 10 years ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home