Saturday, July 22, 2006

Guatemala city to Antigua

I arrived in Guatemala City a day later than I had expected due to storms that had lasted all day in Illinois. I had spent the night in Houston, Texas but was now finally making my way in a bus to Antigua where I would find my school and my host family. I was tired and dozed against the window enjoying the breeze.

I was woken by rain on my face: big drops of heavy rain that would not be ignored. The thuderstorm that had delayed me seemed to have followed me here. In moments the streets flooded and as we braked torrents poured down the windscreen. The streets were rivers dotted with rain and the pavements were suddenly empty. Cars edged slowly through the water spraying fans of brown water on one another. Suddenly the big 4x4s didn't seem so ridiculous in this urban setting. A few people were trapped under awnings or huddled under bus stops, their days suddenly interrupted by the storm.

As we left the Guatemala city for Antigua the rain slowed and the road was visible once more. Volcanoes surrouned us. My driver was happy and shouted excitedly on the phone. He sped up. I was glad, I was tired and wanted to arrive. The road became winding as we descended into a valley. The speed limit said 40kph and large signs urged drivers to slow down "Frene con motor". I glanced at our speedometer... over 80kph. I was not so glad. I had heard that South American drivers could be reckless and this was really dangerous. The winding road was slippery and wet and we were careering down hill at over twice the speed limit while he talked on the phone. There was only one solution: I shut my eyes.

With my eyes closed I soon forgot what was happening and fell asleep once more. I was woken some time later by the driver who announced proudly "This is Antigua!".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home