Friday, December 01, 2006

Canada


Back in July flying from Buenos Aires up to Calgary to ski Lake Louise in December had seemed an exciting prospect, a way of making the most of my year off: combining the best of latin glamour and champagne powder for the best of the American continent. It would be fabulous!
As the date of the flight moved closer however I began to question this wisdom. I was genuinely terrified at the change of temperature I would endure. In Buenos Aires I was basking in the glorious sunshine of a summer at 30+ degrees but in Calgary it was -30 degrees, with windchill -40. Even someone who hasn't worked in the financial markets can look at those numbers and make some predictions. I was not acclimatised in the least and I was going to feel VERY cold.


I was not remotely prepared. I had completely forgotten what it was like to be cold and could remember only that I didn't like it at all. I stuffed my Bolivian alpaca sweaters into my carry on along with my hat, two scarves and three pairs of socks. These were all the warm items I owned and I waited with apprehension to find out whether they would suffice. Of course they didn't. I don't think there is a fabric on earth that could have saved me from the pain of the biting cold. The Canadians were very unsympathetic on the whole. Connie, my host, very kindly gave me clothes and turned up the heating in their houses but most just laughed. I discovered that it is a great pride among Canadians to be resistant to the cold. I had expected more from them and I was dissapointed at their endless stories about going to college in flipflops in -25.... yawn.


Connie, a friend I had made whilst volunteering in Madagascar, met me at Calgary airport. She very kindly hosted me in her wonderfully cozy home. We skied Lake Louise together and then she left me up in the mountains as she had to go to work and I wanted to enjoy the snow. Did I mention that there is snow in Canada this year? There is snow and it's the best they have had for years.
Lake Louise is a magical resort, the views are stunning and the lifts are ample and generally fast. I took a day off skiing to see the lake itself and go snow shoeing. Some of the photos from that trip are on this page with a larger album available here: http://insead.facebook.com/album.php?aid=16&l=b1d5a&id=227600076
After a few days I went to stay in Banff and skied some other resorts in the area. From there I went to Vancouver to visit Lori, an ex-colleague who had moved back to her home town. She and I have travelled a lot together and it was great to meet in yet another city. Vancouver is an incredible place to live because of all the outdoor sporting activities and has some fun night-life too. Lori is proud of her home town and did a great job of showing me around and getting me invited to parties.
The snow beckoned once more I and went back to the rockies to ski Kicking Horse at Golden. Apart from having a very cool name the resort is just amazing. All the sloped are black (I think there is one blue) and it boasts the highest restaurant in Canada at the top of the gondola. Those who are so inclined can arrange to go up in a VIP gondola and listen to CD whilst relaxing on leather seats. Unmissable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home